By now we’ve all heard about the many healthy hair benefits that steaming has to offer. Many jumped to purchase hair steamers while others are still on the fence. Although I love my steamer and wouldn’t trade it for anything, this article will help you save your coins because you will learn how to steam hair without a steamer!
4 Benefits to Steaming Your Hair
- Moist heat lifts the cuticle to allow product to deeply penetrate into the hair.
- Enhances the deep conditioner by adding water droplets to the hair which is an additional layer of hydration.
- Hydrated hair has better elasticity and experiences less breakage.
- Hydrated curls produce less friction as they pass across each other which lessens the opportunity for tangles.
Supplies You’ll Need to Steam Your Hair Without a Hair Steamer
To steam your hair without a hair steamer, you’ll need a few supplies that you probably have around the house already…
You will need a moisturizing deep conditioner. Any moisturizing conditioner will work as long as it works for your hair.
You’ll need a microwave safe bowl because it will be placed in the microwave later on in this process. If you do not have a microwaveable bowl, locate a bowl that can withstand high heat.
You can use any water of your choice but I prefer distilled water to ensure no hard water is being transferred to my hair in any way. This is just my preference but definitely not required.
You will need an absorbent towel of some kind. I prefer using the Turbie Twist but you can also use a regular towel. However, I feel a Turbie Twist works better as it offers a more snug fit than a regular towel when placed on the hair.
The processing cap is used to cover your hair after applying deep conditioner.
How To Steam Hair Without a Steamer
- Pour distilled water into a microwave safe bowl
- Place absorbent towel in the bowl of water and leave it there
- Place bowl in the microwave and heat until absorbent towel is hot
- Apply deep conditioner to damp hair
- Place a processing cap over your hair
- Put protective gloves on your hands **this is a must or you will burn your hands!**
- Make sure the water is NOT too hot for you to retrieve the absorbent towel
- Once you’re able to SAFELY retrieve the absorbent towel WITHOUT getting burned, remove it from the water
- Wring hot absorbent towel loosely leaving it very damp but not dripping (dripping water WILL burn your neck)
- Place the hot absorbent towel on top of the processing cap
- Sit under your preferred heat source for 15 – 30 minutes or longer if you prefer
- When you’re done, you’ve officially steamed your hair without a hair steamer
If you do not own a microwave safe bowl, you can bring water to a boil and then pour the water in a bowl that can withstand high heat. Please be careful when handling hot water.
If you prefer to steam your hair for longer than 15 to 30 minutes, you can repeat the steps above. However, I find 15 to 30 minutes to be sufficient.
Be sure to let your hair cool after steaming and rinse your hair with cool water to close the cuticle.
Have You Tried My DIY Steaming Method?