This post shares numerous tips from Komaza Hair Care on how to keep relaxed hair healthy.
How to Keep Relaxed Hair Healthy
Cuticle Damage and Breakage
The consultant was confident my cuticle damage resulted from over moisturizing and my breakage is a result of damaged cuticles. The damage likely resulted from weekly hair steaming and keeping the hair wet for extended periods. The consultant advised steaming 1x monthly maximum and deep conditioning without heat all other weeks. The consultant also advised increasing protein treatments to at least 1x month and trim 1/4″ each touch up until all damage is removed. The damage appears to be toward the end of the strands with the exception of a mid-shaft split or two which is good.
Diminished Root Sheath
The consultant believed my diminished root sheaths resulted from side effects of routine medications rather than vitamin deficiencies. I am unable to remove myself from the medications in question, thus she recommended the following to combat the effects of early signs of thinning:
- Maxi Hair by Country Life
- L-Cysteine 1500mg with Vitamin C
- Vitamin D3 2000 iu twice a day
- Complete B50 vitamin daily
Co-washing or co-cleansing does not remove product buildup sufficiently which can lead to hair and scalp issues. They recommend those with relaxed hair use sulfate shampoo and naturals use sulfate-free. Reason: relaxed hair typically uses products that need to be removed weekly.
Komaza believes mostly all relaxed hair is normal to high porosity. Therefore, they suggested a simple regimen:
- Cleanse (sulfate shampoo)
- Mild protein (every 2-3 weeks)
- Condition (weekly, without heat for 20 minutes)
- Moisturize the hair, as-needed and no sealing because oils can travel from scalp down the length on relaxed hair.
- They encouraged relaxed hair stay away from natural inspired techniques because relaxed hair simply doesn’t require it to thrive.
They recommended Carol’s Daughter Monoi line OR see how I can make my current stash work with their recommendations.
- Pre-Poo: Komaza Pona Scalp and Hair Treatment
- Leave In (Air Dry): Carol’s Daughter Monoi Line
- Leave In (Roller / Flexi Sets & Bun Smoothing): Coconut Pudding
- Scalp / Shedding: Komaza Bountiful Mane
- Stay Hydrated.
- Eat healthy.
- Use a wide tooth comb or paddle brush but no boar bristle brushes, ever.